What’s new in WordPress 5.9?
WordPress 5.9 “Joséphine”, released on 25th January 2022, delivers the first bundled FSE theme Twenty Twenty-Two and the Full Site Editor to enable users to customise their FSE themes to their hearts content.
The About WordPress page lists the major changes
- Site Editor beta
- Twenty Twenty-Two
- Global styles
- Navigation block
- Better block controls
- Revamped List View
- Better Gallery block
These are all covered in the WordPress Portsmouth Online Meetup’s “What’s new in WordPress 5.9″ slides.
This post primarily contains links covering other changes to the core blocks.
Improved blocks – a small selection
New blocks and variations
- Custom Link : Post Link – core/navigation-link post
A link to a post.
- Custom Link : Page Link – core/navigation-link page
A link to a page.
- Custom Link : Category Link – core/navigation-link category
A link to a category.
- Custom Link : Tag Link – core/navigation-link tag
A link to a tag.
There will be other variations for any Custom Post Type or Taxonomy that is registered with
show_in_nav_menus set to
- Post Navigation Link : Next post – core/post-navigation-link post-next
Displays the post link that follows the current post.
- Post Navigation Link : Previous post – core/post-navigation-link post-previous
Displays the post link that precedes the current post.
- Template Part : Header – core/template-part header
The Header template defines a page area that typically contains a title, logo, and main navigation.
- Template Part : Footer – core/template-part footer
The Footer template defines a page area that typically contains site credits, social links, or any other combination of blocks.
The Query pagination blocks have been renamed:
- Pagination – core/query-pagination
Displays a paginated navigation to next/previous set of posts, when applicable.
- Next Page – core/query-pagination-next
Displays the next posts page link.
- Page Numbers – core/query-pagination-numbers
Displays a list of page numbers for pagination
- Previous Page – core/query-pagination-previous
Displays the previous posts page link.
Automatic anchor ids
Automatic anchor ids 🙂
Automatic anchor ids (-:
Renamed Query and Query loop blocks
If you’ve used the
core/query-loop block in content you’ll need to rename it to
core/post-template otherwise you’ll get warnings in a number of places.